Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Last year's block

This is the block that I did last year for our son's birthday. Picture of this year's blank block coming soon!

I just used Word on my computer to type giant numbers, and enlarge them to like 100 pt font or something. After printing them out - one number per 8.5 x 11 in paper, I then traced them with freezer paper, and attached the paper waxy side down on the right side of the fabric. Then, I turned the edges under, did a bit of applique, and there you go!

At the party, I asked all the guests to sign with a pigma pen.

I hope all of you in the US had a very nice long weekend, and that your Labor Day was nice. My Labor Day was certainly full of labor (rather than rest, as it was originally intended when it became a holiday in 1882). I spend some time sewing up goodie bags for the party, and offering painting advise to my husband - "You missed a spot!"

Is summer officially over now? If so, I'm sad it's gone.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea!

Veronica TM said...

what a wonderful idea! it looks great.
where i live it is very much summer still, but even though i would like a break from the heat i will also be sad to say good bye to summer.

Eva said...

Really cool idea! And so pretty, too! There's something about giant letters and numbers that I really like! :-)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Judging by the heat, summer has just begun!
I am slowly absorbing freezer paper lessons... do you iron it on? Does it peel off? You certainly made it look # 1!

His Office, My Studio said...

Great Job and Idea. I am sure the party was fun.

Thank-you for your comment on my blog. This week on HGTV re-runs of Simply Quilts is back on the air at 7am here in Chicagoland. I am so happy.

corry said...

What a great idea! Today it wasn't a summerday here, it felt more like fall.

Chara Michele said...

What a great idea!
Hmm, it still feels like summer here:)