Saturday, February 17, 2007

Japanese hospitality


Now that I'm back in California, I'm already missing the Japanese hospitality that I came to appreciate so much.

While I was in Japan, I had the great pleasure to meet up with Nancy (above left, me on the right), and Josey, who are both American quilters who live outside the Tokyo area.

They were the best guides I could have hoped for, and generously helped me tour the city exploring amazing craft and quilt shops.

Thanks girls for all the fun, I will definitely be using all the supplies for quite some time!

So what did I end up with besides a super fun afternoon with a couple of amazing quilters?

Well...the only thing I can advise you on - if you visit Japan...PLEASE PACK LIGHT!!

Save room for fabric, books, notions...because you are going to find some amazing things there.

Yuzawaya was by far my favorite stop. Floors of fabrics. The "small cuts" section was heaven for me, as you can purchase very small pieces of fabric for very affordable prices.

I, of course, went nuts and got all sorts of small and large cuts of fabric, because who only knows when I'll be able to return to Japan again.

I'm sure I'll be talking about this trip for a while, as I have yet to really read all the books I got, and it will take some time for me to wash and iron all the fabric as well.

I think Japan is an amazing place for quilters, and would highly recommend a visit there if there's any way you can make it happen.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I loved Yuzawaya too~
I stumbled upon your blog via A village Quilter
and I'm glad I found you. It seems we've got a few things in common..
I've added you to my bloglines and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Happy Quilting~