Thursday, May 17, 2007

More more taupes


This is one of the fabric drawers that I have full of taupe fabrics.

Yes, I have more than one. Yes, I like my taupe fabrics...Ok, maybe I'm an addict, but it's healthier than smoking. (not sure if it's cheaper, my guess is maybe not)

I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow quilter/crafter when I was in Kinokuniya book store earlier today, and she was curious where I buy fabrics.

Here's a few tips from my email to her - Hi Susan! - hope that you all get out there and buy more Japanese fabric! Join me in my quest to own a fat quarter of each and every pattern. Just kidding....sorta.


Zippers for bags:

I pretty much only use Japanese zippers by Clover. Don't bother with anything else, these are the quality, good ones. Really, don't use anything else!

http://www.fabricsunlimited.net/pursesupplies1.html

These guys sell the ones that I use. They also have some cute little "pulls" that you attach at the top of the zipper. You probably want to get one of those as well, otherwise there isn't much to pull the zipper open with on the metal zipper itself.


Fabrics:

http://www.superbuzzy.com/ - these guys are pretty much all direct imports of real Japanese fabrics, and have seriously cute and high quality stuff.

http://www.azabu-ya.com/ - this shop is owned by this woman that I know, and lives in LA. She used to have a shop there when I lived there, but has since closed it and is web-only business today. She has a mix of real Japanese imports (which she imports herself, she is a Japanese person) and some American fabrics that look Japanese and are cute as well.

http://www.purlsoho.com/ - this shop has a mix of yarn, all sorts of other things, and fabric too, some american and some Japanese. The Japanese stuff is specifically called out, and easy to find. Not a huge selection of it, but what they do have is very very cute.

http://www.pinwheels.com/ - this shop is located in New York, and caters to people who like the taupe look of muted colors, neutrals, etc. Personally I really love this stuff, so I have a ton of it, and end up buying more all the time. They import from Daiwabo, and have their line of yard dye fabrics.

Just a few tips...Happy shopping.

6 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Oh wow, that photo is taupe-a-licious!

I have quite a few as well, but most of mine are in bags...

The Calico Cat said...

FYI:
http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_search.html?p_keyword=EESRN&p_match=pid&sid=31U9Hz1kBHME5Dc-50107620520.f7

I have some of these. & My local quilt shop also got in some simplar prints (might have been a different brand - not sure). I am big on variety & scrappy - so more is more! Heck I have even bought yarn dyed fabrics from Pinwheels - something I used to not do at all...

Unknown said...

Oh Marisa, that is so dangerous. I have been trying to curb my online shopping habits! Oh well.

Marisa said...

Sadly, I already own most of these taupes that you sent the link for... How embarassing is that?!

Sarah said...

You've been tagged - please check my blog for details....

Jenn Maruska said...

Thank you for sharing those links : )