Thursday, December 9, 2010

Japanese Taupe Quilts, Baltimore Albums, and Applique ideas


I decided to make a little quilted example piece for my hand quilting class, the above is the progress so far. Not sure if I will finish it before class or in class, but it is looking very pretty far.

I recently had a bit of an 'early Christmas shopping for self' moment on Amazon (sigh, I am addicted to books) but I must share with you what I have learned:


1) Japanese taupe Quilts by Susan Briscoe:

This book is really amazing. If you like Chuck Nohara's work, or have been interested in her small block quilts, this book is very similar and will not disappoint you. It includes 125 block patterns (nice) and they are all really beautiful. My only regret with this book is that it doesn't include a paper fold out pattern in the back with full size templates for all the blocks. Still, a very nice addition to your library and a 'must have' for those of us who work in Japanese taupe fabrics.
ISBN: 978-1-56836-378-3


2) Beloved Baltimore Album Quilts by Elly Sienkiewicz:

From somebody who is trying to get a copy of everything Elly has ever published, you know I had to have this book. Her album blocks are just incredible, not that I have to remind you of that. I did not get to see the Baltimore album quilts when they were in Houston (did you?) but having this book is a treat, and it includes patterns for some of the blocks used in those quilts. If you love applique, you need this book. Block patterns are very small as compared to her usual blocks. If you wanted to have a larger quilt, you could probably enlarge them and complete them pretty quickly.


3) The Ultimate Applique Guidebook by Annie Smith:


If you listen to Annie's podcast, you will know how enthusiastic she is about quilting, and how much she has to share with all of us. This book is really beautiful and instead of giving us block pattern after block pattern she encourages you to design your own blocks. There are tons of shapes in here that help you to go forth and make your own applique blocks. I LOVE this book (and not just because I'm such an Annie fan either). Here talented husband illustrated it for her, that is so sweet.

2 comments:

Kates said...

Marisa, I miss you and my beautiful boys! Glad to see that everything is well with you (I do still read your blog when I'm not buried in legalese!!). I cannot wait to see you soon over my break!

<3Kates

P.S. I have a new blog! It's a collaborative effort with the girls that I lived with in undergrad.. You should check it out, it's pretty funny. :)

http://caloriesdontcountif.blogspot.com

Susan Briscoe said...

Thanks for your kind review of my book!

A fold out pattern sheet, like you find in Japanese quilt books, is a neat idea but not one the book designers included, going for a template section instead with full size patchwork and applique templates for everything that can't be cut with a ruler and rotary cutter.

I used to live in Japan and Japanese design has been a constant inspiration for my quilting. Plus I just love the taupe fabric look!