Thursday, February 21, 2013

Facts and Rumors from Stitches West 2013



 

 
Tonight I attended the opening of Stitches West in the San Jose Convention Center. 

It is the biggest knitting event in the western U.S. and many sheep have 'donated' fibers from many a haircut in order to make it all happen.
 
There is more amazing color here than I think I've run into in a single place.
 
This was just the shopping preview, and I couldn't stay long, but I did bump into a few very interesting things along the way.
 
In the A Verb For Keeping Warm Booth I found the Verb girls in their beautiful booth (complete with succulent plants!) surrounded by an amazing amount of color and yarns to die for.
 
At the register they had small packs of Liberty of London fabric, as well as scissors by Merchant and Mills.  It was a quilter's British dream come true.  These scissors deserve their own blog post really -  more on them later.

Kristine (Verb owner) has also been working with indigo dyes and fabric.  I am starting the rumor that she will be teaching classes on it soon in her shop, mostly because I personally want to enroll.

Romi Hill, who makes the most amazing shawl pins, was also in the Verb booth and had an impressive collection of pins that were not to be missed.
 
I also stopped by the Becoming Art booth as well with the motivation to ask knitting designer/podcaster/goddess Alana Dakos to create more knit patterns for little boys.  I'm not sure she's about to write an entire book devoted to boy knitwear, but call the idea seed 'planted'. 

I did buy her pattern for the Little Oak sweater which I have good intentions of knitting.  We'll see how that goes.  I also picked up her book called Annie and the Swiss Cheese Scarf which we read for storybook time with the kids tonight.  It was a huge hit!

I'm taking a knitting class on Saturday morning.  It's on using more than 1 color of yarn at a time.  Maybe I'll pack some hand quilting in my purse in case the going gets tough.
 
Either way, enjoy a couple more photos and stop by Stitches West this weekend for some serious color inspiration if you have the time.

 
 
 
 
 Above:  Kristine and Aday from in the A Verb For Keeping Warm booth
 
 
Above: Hard to believe that the above yarns were ALL dyed with naturally based dyes, no acid dye.  It's true, and it's a sight to see in person.

2 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh how I wish i could have beenthere too.
I am starting to get into knitting, slowly as I am so afraid of having a yarn collection , where would I put it and what would happen to my fabric collection!
Kathie

Susan said...

Love the little oak pattern!!! There were so few baby patterns.... :(