Wednesday, May 22, 2013

When in Austin, Texas...do as the Texans do!

If you have read my blog for a while like a lot of you have, you probably well know that I'm a serious California girl.  I love living in the golden state, and the bay area weather really agrees with my system.

When I do leave home, I end up in Austin, Texas from time to time.  My goodness I get such a kick out of visiting there.

On my last trip, I took the advice of my good quilting friend Carol and had dinner at the Eastside Cafe.  They grow most of their own herbs and a lot of their veggies on the property in a garden right next to the restaurant.  Things are so super fresh.  The servers are warm and kind and the inside has different rooms because it used to be a house.


I was also wandering around South Congress looking for a couple of things in an antique shop called Uncommon Objects.  I found way more than I thought I would, so that was really fun.  The ultimate treasure was a vintage rosary for my son's first communion.  They have a funny movie of some of the interesting things in their shop.

The most fortunate thing that happened to me was walking past a jewelry shop called Limbo.  I love very simple affordable little earrings and necklaces.  I got a pair of earrings and may have to try to order online.  The shop in person is super modern and amazing. 

I did manage to avoid something that Texans call "Fire Ants."

I was like, "Gee, what's a fire ant?"

My friend laughed and said they have been known to kill baby cows.

I'm thinking it's a good thing that I didn't make intimate acquaintance with any of them.

I guess I've finally learned to appreciate good old California style ants. 



No comments: