Tuesday, August 6, 2013

An Intrepid visit to The Intrepid Thread quilt shop

As you have probably noticed, I have some really specific taste when it comes to quilt fabric.

Most of my shopping is done either online at places like PurlSoho, Superbuzzy, or at quilt shows where you can run into some interesting Japanese imported fabrics.

When I discovered there is a somewhat new fabric shop not far from me, I was excited to check it out and see if anything appealed to me.


The Intrepid Thread is in sort of an industrial/office space type complex, so it took a little driving around the parking lot to find it but it was not very hard.

It is located in Milpitas, California, and has been around for more than half a year.

The fabric selection is very modern with perhaps the best selection of geometric prints I have ever run into.  It feels very fresh and young compared to the other quilt shops in the area.  I found myself shopping with wild abandon, purchasing all sorts of quarter yards of fabric without really knowing what I would do with them all.

They also had some very cool ombre fabric that I want to turn into a quilt border.  I found what I thought was Liberty of London, but it was basically faux Liberty of London.  Looking and feeling very similar to the real thing, it was around $10 a yard (instead of ~$40!), so I of course got a couple of small cuts.

Employees are super friendly and helpful, inviting me to walk around and check out their huge classroom.  I felt instantly at home.

They did not have a big selection of notions, but that is the only minor ding I can give this awesome shop.

If you are looking for a better quilt shop in the California Bay area, I highly recommend that you check out The Intrepid Thread.  I will certainly be back.  

What did I make with all those fabrics I picked up?  You won't have to wonder about that for too long...I already finished a super cute project.  More on that next time.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Marisa. Hope to see you again soon.

ConnieB/CA said...

Have you tried Hart's Fabric in Santa Cruz? I think you's like it.