Thursday, August 16, 2012

Modern House Quilt Block: Heartwood Home


I don't usually show the 'full final' photo of my modern quilts blocks on my blog, but this time I could not restrain myself.
This is the 11th block in a series of 12 blocks that I designed and created for my applique class at A Verb for Keeping Warm.  We meet there on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

The great jazz pianist Dave Brubeck lived in this house in the 50's and it was designed by architect Bev Thorne.  I took inspiration from this home that is in the Oakland hills, and designed a block to honor the amazing way it just hangs over the property, suspended by steel beams supporting it.

The house doesn't look exactly the same as the quilt block, but I tried my best to capture it's spirit as best I could.

In other quilty news, if you're planning to apply for a slot to display your quilt in Pacific International Quilt Festival (PIQF), better do it quick.  I think the end of the application window will be coming up in a couple of weeks.  The quilt show itself is in October.

If my modern house quilt was complete, I would certainly enter it.  I'm on the fence about trying to put my niece's quilt in.  It isn't finished yet! 

3 comments:

Jamii said...

This block looks amazing my dear, it is very three dimensional and really shows how the house extends out. The photo doesn't do your fabric selection justice, the color is much more striking in person. And your fussy-cutting is perfect, especially for the foliage.

You had better enter into PIQF, put our niece's quilt on the front-burner and turn up the heat!

Lynne said...

It's lovely, Marisa, I think your restrained palette is inspired! Go on, put that quilt in and let's see the photos of the show when it happens....Lx

Anonymous said...

Hi
It’s hard to find knowledgeable people regarding but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks for sharing this with othersdave burke