Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Quilted Feathers

This little quilt I'm working on is turning out to have a couple of firsts for me.

I have practiced a lot of feathers just for fun, but never ended up adding them to a real quilt top. Perhaps this is out of fear of getting myself in over my head or not having the dedication to getting them perfect.

Well, I'm going out on a limb here, and throwing caution to the wind. Feathers, here we come.

I'm also using some self-designed fabric on the back - photo of it here on an older post. I love to design fabric with my calligraphy but it's hard to cut into it.

Solution: Put it on the back of the quilt! No cutting required.

And for those of you (my sister) who were wondering what book I want for my upcoming birthday, Album Quilts of Ohio's Miami Valley by Sue Cummings is on my short list.

3 comments:

antique quilter said...

perfect choice the feathers look wonderful!, glad your keeping that needle in your hands even for a few minutes a day
oh I hope your sister buys you that book, its a GOOD one!
Kathie

Una said...

Your feathers are great! I love how they sort of continue into the sashing. Can't wait to see the whole quilt. Good way to preserve your own fabric as well;) Take care, Una

Liz said...

Your quilting looks fantastic.